Wasee, I woke up today to a nightmare. My exchange account is completely frozen with over $3,000 inside. The support team is asking me to provide a 'Source of Funds' document like a Payslip, Tax Return, or a formal Bank Statement showing my salary. Bro, I am a full-time trader and I do freelance online writing on the side! I don't have a formal payslip! Has anyone survived this AML compliance check or is my money gone forever?
Exchanges asking for 'Proof of Funds'. Account frozen completely. Msaidie! 😭
•October 3, 2026 at 09:55 PM
Comments (9)
Welcome to the club. I tried explaining to a compliance officer in Europe that I make my money from 'Academic Writing' and Upwork, and they completely rejected my M-Pesa statements because it didn't look like a formal corporate salary. Hawa watu hawajui the Kenyan hustle. If you don't have a stamped bank statement, they close the account.
The funniest part about all this? They NEVER ask for Proof of Funds when you are depositing the money! You can deposit $10,000 and the system is happy. But the moment you click 'Withdraw', suddenly they care about money laundering and want to see your grandmother's birth certificate. It's a scam.
Bana, hii Nairobi usijistress. Enda River Road upate msee akuchapie payslip poa ya corporate company na stamp ya HR. You upload it as a PDF na account inafunguliwa by evening. Hiyo ndio lugha wanaelewa.
DO NOT follow Kevo's advice! Exchanges use advanced metadata scanners to detect photoshopped or edited PDFs. If they catch you submitting forged documents, it escalates from a 'temporary freeze' to a 'permanent ban for fraud', and they might even forward your details to local authorities. Just submit your trading history from other brokers or prop firmprop firm: A company that provides funded accounts of corporate capital to skilled traders who pass a strict evaluation process, splitting the generated profits. payout emails.
David is right. I got flagged last month after receiving a $5k prop firmprop firm: A company that provides funded accounts of corporate capital to skilled traders who pass a strict evaluation process, splitting the generated profits. payout via crypto. I just sent them the certificate from the prop firm, the congratulatory email, and a screenshot of the dashboard showing my profit split. They verified it and unlocked my account in 48 hours. Don't forge things.
This is exactly why you guys need to stop treating Centralized Exchanges (CEX) like banks. Trusting Binance or Bybit with your life savings is a rookie mistake. Use them just to buy/sell, then move your coins to a Ledger or TrustWallet immediately. 'Not your keys, not your coins'.
I do P2P Arbitrage and my account got flagged because of 'frequent large transactions'. I had to go to KCB, print a 6-month bank statement, highlight every single P2P transaction, and write an essay explaining how arbitrage works. It took 3 weeks but they finally released my funds. You just need patience.
The trick is to stay under the radar. Don't move $5,000 at once if your account usually only moves $100. Withdraw in small batches. The AI algorithms flag sudden spikes in volume.
Global FATF regulations are getting stricter every year. Exchanges have no choice but to enforce this or they lose their licenses. As full-time traders, we need to start formalizing our hustle. Register a business name on eCitizen, pay a little tax to get a KRA compliance certificate, and use a business bank account. It saves you from all this headache.
Leave a Reply
You must be signed in to join the discussion.